Life isn't always a bowl of candy. We all feel less than satisfied with ourselves from time to time.
Feeling dissatisfied is a special danger for anyone who's building a business online. After all, no matter how successful you are, you can always see someone who is doing better.
The trick is to understand that in everyone's life there are light and shade, right and wrong, good and bad, failure and achievement. The negatives are as vital to our existence and the way in which we shape our lives as the positives.
Our self esteem is linked to the way we feel about ourselves – how we value ourselves, our job, our successes and failures, our place in society and our belief in our own abilities. Good self esteem will ensure you live a happy, positive life with confidence and assuredness.[EDITOR'S NOTE: Here's a tip which works for me. Set yourself lots of little, easy to achieve goals and reward yourself every step of the way as you make progress. This is a wonderful way to boost your self esteem. For example, reward yourself when you achieve your first $100 month, your first $500 month, $1,000 month, etc. Similarly, celebrate when you achieve your first 1,000 subscribers, etc. My wife and I enjoy dining out, so we often used little goals achieved as an excuse to dine out.]
Poor self esteem CAN be overcome with the right strategies. All that's necessary is the belief that you deserve the best life can offer you and the focus to stay positive, no matter what.
Life is about the choices we make. You can choose to be negative, miserable and suffer from poor self esteem, or you can choose to arm yourself with the tools you need to live a happy, contented, confident and self-assured life.
Look at the following self esteem strategies and learn to use them in your life. Practice improving your self esteem every day – the more you practice positive reinforcement, the sooner you will start believing it and the sooner you will experience the joy and freedom good self esteem gives you.
Positive self-esteem strategies
- Take responsibility for your life. Who you are, what you have and what you do are your responsibility and only you can control them.
Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” Remember that no matter what someone says or thinks about you, it's only their opinion, it's NOT the truth.
- Don't indulge in self criticism. Everybody gets it wrong from time to time and we all have times when realize we could have been stronger, better, funnier, smarter … the list is endless.
Use mistakes and failures as life lessons, not as another reason to beat yourself up. Problems can make you stronger if you strive to overcome them.
- Take a look at the people around you. The world is full of bulldozers, brown nosers, gossipmongers, whiners, backstabbers, snipers, the walking wounded, controllers, naggers, complainers, and patronizers.
Surround yourself with people who make you feel good about yourself. Only by feeling good about who you are can you improve your self esteem and gain self worth.
- Embrace your uniqueness. There is nobody else in the world quite like you, so learn to appreciate who you are. Don't try to be like anyone else. This leads to lack of self worth and confidence.
- Accept that change is inevitable. Overcoming poor self esteem requires change to bring about a new attitude and sense of self confidence.
Change challenges our accepted paradigms, it tests our flexibility, adaptability and alters the way we think. Understand that changes can temporarily nudge us out of our comfort zone until we can safely re-establish the boundaries.
- Focus on the positives. Draw up a mental list of your good and bad points, then reward yourself for all your positive attributes and work on eliminating the negatives.
We all have aspects of ourselves we dislike – work on improving or altering those aspects rather than focusing all your attention on them.
- Learn to laugh at yourself. Poor self esteem can be overcome if you don't take yourself too seriously. Laughter and a sense of humor improves the way you feel about yourself and helps you build confidence and assurance.
Self esteem brings about self improvement, true assessment, and determination.
So how do you start putting up the building blocks of self esteem? Be positive. Be contented and happy. Be appreciative. Never miss an opportunity to compliment yourself and other people.
A positive way of living will help you build self esteem, your starter guide to self improvement.
The Motivated Mind by Jason Gracia