Top Articles

Stay In Touch

Affiliate Marketing Forum

FAQ FAQ Search Search Memberlist Memberlist Usergroups Usergroups
Register Register Profile Profile Log in to check your private messages Private Messages Log in Log in

how to fill the W-8BEN form for foreign cj affiliates!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Affiliate Marketing Forum Index » Getting Started - For New Affiliates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
it2shoes

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:03 pm
      Post subject: how to fill the W-8BEN form for foreign cj affiliates!

I wonder if someone could help me to fill the W-8BEN form. If just someone could check this webpage with a filled form, "http://adrun.atspace.com", and tell me if I had done the right way or if something is missing or wrong, It would be really helpfull.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
megatonloh

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:41 am
      Post subject:

Hi,

Leave out #2 Country of incorporation or organization since you are an individual.

I put in my cj account id # for #8 Reference number

I leave out part ll as well.

So to summarise fill in :

1 , 3, 4, 8 and sign, date it, make a copy for your file and then post it.

This is how I fill my form and if you are still not clear you can read the instructions provided together with the form.

Thanks
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:36 am
      Post subject:

All you need to give is your name and address.

I always give as little information as possible and I've never had any problems.
it2shoes

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:01 am
      Post subject:

thnx for the helpfull answers,
going to send the form as soon as possible Smile
Vorticop

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:35 am
      Post subject:

greetings all, im so glad i stumbled into this forum just now.

i signed up for Cj earlier today, and have had the same problem as it2shoes.
I am an Australian resident. and since Cj, doesnt have the AU$ as a primary currency, i ticked US$ thinking that a large portion of my market would be from the US, then the legal form kinda, threw me off.

I see youve given advice on what to do, but as a newbie i just wanna make sure i understand, cos i hear the IRS does not fool around.

Is the W8-BEN form, to exempt ME from paying US tax ?
Does anyone know what i have to do, with regards to Australian Tax (Aussies might know Smile
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:26 pm
      Post subject:

Vorticop wrote:
I am an Australian resident.

You'll want CJ to pay you in Australian dollars. If you're paid in US dollars, your bank will charge you a bank fee of about $10 (Oz) per check.

Quote:
Is the W8-BEN form, to exempt ME from paying US tax ?

Yes.

Quote:

Does anyone know what i have to do, with regards to Australian Tax

Keep a careful record of all your expenses and income. At the end of the financial year, declare them all. A good accountant will tell you what you can claim, for example, ISP fees, ebooks, advertising, software. etc. Take care to keep a record of every cent you spend on your business.

When I was starting out, I used a simple book with expenses on the left page and income on the right. It worked well. Your accountant will want you to tally up the various types of expenses. For example, how much you spent on advertising, so it helps if you have columns for different categories. The neater your records are, the less money your accountant is likely to charge you.

Once you're earning decent money, you might want to buy some accounting software, such as MYOB or QuickBooks, but if you're just starting out, you'll have higher prorities for your money.
hydrospell

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:03 am
      Post subject:

Queer, but I can't seem to find "Malaysia" for the CJ Publisher sign-up. Any CJ affiliates from Malaysia here?

Rolling Eyes

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:10 am
      Post subject:

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this is quite important for non-US affiliates who are needlessly filling out IRS tax forms.

The W8BEN form is only required to be filled out for US SOURCED income. Now "US Sourced" doesn't mean where the person writing the check is, it means where the work was done by the PAYEE.

The OECD (of which the USA is a member of) put it's head together many years ago and determined that if you OWN a webserver in a country, then the websites you have on that server are producing income SOURCED in that country. If you merely RENT a webserver in a country, the websites on it are producing FOREIGN SOURCED income.

FOREIGN SOURCED income is NOT subject to tax in the USA and does NOT require form W8BEN to be filled out - W8BEN is for foreigners to claim exemption from withholding tax on US SOURCED INCOME for tax treaty obligations.

The instructions for W8BEN are clear:

"Who must file. You must give Form W-8BEN to the withholding agent or payer if you are a foreign person and you are the beneficial owner of an amount SUBJECT TO WITHHOLDING."

As I said previously, FOREIGN SOURCED INCOME IS NOT SUBJECT TO WITHHOLDING.

All that is required is that the foreign affiliate CERTIFIES they do not have any US-SOURCED income and are not a US Taxpayer, etc.

Google has it SPOT ON, on their Adsense tax information page:

https://www.google.com/adsense/taxinfo

(quoting)

Non U.S. Business (No U.S. Activities )

United States (U.S.) Activities involve having employees or owning equipment in the U.S. that are involved in any way with revenue earned through the AdSense programme. This includes, but is not limited to, owning a web server or owning a hosting service in the U.S., or having employees in the U.S. who are involved in either:

* setting up a web server, hosting service, or website
* developing content for your website
* marketing to create a user base for your site
* telephone support for your site
* buying products for your site
* maintaining your site

Generally, utilizing an unrelated third-party U.S. web hosting service to host your web pages, renting web servers that are located in the U.S. from an unrelated third party, or having your payment sent to a U.S. Post Office Box or mail forwarding address, do not of themselves constitute U.S. Activities.

If you do not have U.S. Activities, you will be asked to agree to a statement to that effect. No tax forms are required in this instance.

That's it in a nutshell.

Commission Junction, and other merchants are doing a DISSERVICE to their foreign affiliates by requiring them to fill out forms that are not required, and making these people think they need to put themselves in the US tax system.

Foreign affiliates need to stand up and say "hey! enough's enough!".

Perhaps you Alan, as one of the most widely recognised international affiliates out there, could put the call out to the merchants like COMMISSION JUNCTION to stop handing out bad, possibly litigable, taxation misstatements.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:39 am
      Post subject:

Hi Drewbert, Thanks. I'd never looked into this closely, just regarding it as one little hassle I had to endure. However, I wondered why Google did not ask me to fill out a W8-BEN form when other companies did.

I've just tried to double-check the instructions on the US Inland Revenue Service website. Both the form itself and the instructions page have been temporarily withdrawn for corrections:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8ben.pdf

Perhaps the corrections will make things plainer. I live in hope!

(UPDATE: The updated form and instructions are now back online.)

Last edited by AllanGardyne on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ChristianG

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:28 pm
      Post subject:

Hi,

If anyone wants to check out the form with
the directions, you can find it at:

http://www.americanfunds.com/pdf/editable/sygefmrs-608_w8ben.pdf

The official IRS form is down but this one is
is up.

They say you need to provide Tax Identity Number if
you're requesting NOT to pay US tax under treaty
agreement but maybe you only need to do that if
you actually physically do business in the US. Or like
me living part of the year here in the USA.

Does anyone know?

I've never needed this form using Click Bank till I
began receiving my checks in USA (I still pay my
taxes in my home country).

Hope this helps,

Christian

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:14 am
      Post subject:

I say AGAIN, that W8BEN is only for US SOURCED INCOME.

That means "the work done was done in the USA".

If you did the work in another country, tax is payable in THAT country.

If you live part of the year in the USA then you're most likely regarding as a US resident for tax purposes, and will use a tax treaty with your other country of residence to ensure you don't pay full tax on your earnings in BOTH countries.

But this thread is about people outside the USA being made to fill out US tax forms that aren't pertinant, but US companies. Let's stay focused.
JLB

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:27 am
      Post subject: W-8's

It's 2007 now and Commission Junction is still asking for W-8's from non-U.S. affiliates.
bandabasura

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:15 pm
      Post subject:

Hello.

My situation is the following. I am citizen from Spain living in France. Las year I did a collaboration with a US publishers for which I contributed with an essay for a book. The US publisher is now requesting me to fill in the W8BEN form... but I don't understand... is this supposed to be US SOURCED INCOME? I don't think so, but please, can you clarify with me?
Thanks!!
JLB

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:58 pm
      Post subject:

I can't answer that question specifically, but I did have one interesting experience with these U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. affiliates. I quoted the above writer (Drewbert) who explained this situation in depth to one affiliate network that was insisting I fill out the forms. They did a complete about-face, asking only for a declaration that I am not a US citizen or US taxpayer and paid me $20 to boot for "helping [their] accountant"!

Obviously, some of these companies do not know what they're talking about and ask for US tax forms to be filled out because they don't know what else to do.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:10 am
      Post subject:

bandabasura wrote:
I am citizen from Spain living in France. Las year I did a collaboration with a US publishers for which I contributed with an essay for a book.

This does not sound like U.S.-sourced income. What you could do is show the publisher Google's definition of U.S. income -
https://www.google.com/adsense/taxinfo . Tell them that Google doesn't make foreign webmasters fill out W-8BEN forms.

I think there's a very good chance that Google has researched this thoroughly and is getting this right.

However, the simplest thing to do is just fill out the W-8BEN form with your name, address etc. You won't have to pay tax in the U.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Affiliate Marketing Forum Index » Getting Started - For New Affiliates
Page 1 of 3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: