Top Articles

Stay In Touch

Affiliate Marketing Forum

FAQ FAQ Search Search Memberlist Memberlist Usergroups Usergroups
Register Register Profile Profile Log in to check your private messages Private Messages Log in Log in

Blog Content what to share and what to sell

Affiliate Marketing Forum Index » Monetizing Your Blog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
its_me_shaners

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:06 pm
      Post subject: Blog Content what to share and what to sell

Here's my question:
When it comes to blog content what should you just post and share and what should you really be packaging as a product for sale.
My general position on this is, is that when I am writing (posting) I'm posting about something I have figured out how to do. Some of the posts run in series one in particular is about 10 posts long.
I have had a few emails suggesting that I am nuts for posting some of it and should be selling it.
Which brings me to my next point. What should I be selling as my own product. I dont mean what product should I be selling, i mean in terms of content. I have a guides and ebooks page where I occasionally will produce something in pdf format to give away to those who might be interested and some stuff I use as an enticement to get an email. (I havent begun monetizing my list-more, interested in buildng a rapport at this point).
I guess my main objection misguided as it maybe is that I really dont wanna look like some scum bag scammer snake oil peddling moron.
My other notion might be misguided as well is that if I can figure something out then for sure just about anyone else can. I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree. I just work at it until I figure out what works. (blue collar showing in me I suppose)
What research I have done on this idea shows that arent any real solutions to this problem I have figured out, when I was trying to get it right and didnt really get any answers to my questions so I had to go about it on my own.
So now that I have an answer to this problem my question still remains should I just do a post series or should I really be selling it.
Confused In Canada
Shane
PS Go Sens Go
Thanks florida and jaques martin for crapping out, we go to the play offs !!
jcr266

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:20 pm
      Post subject:

If you know something most people do not and they need to know it sell it. If you know better way to make site rank well in search engines give teaser and then sell that. Hard to say what to sell if i have no idea what topic is.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:13 pm
      Post subject: Re: Blog Content what to share and what to sell

its_me_shaners wrote:
I have had a few emails suggesting that I am nuts for posting some of it and should be selling it.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Some marketers give away almost nothing. Some pour a heaps of effort into creating genuinely useful stuff which they give away. Both strategies can work.

Paul Myers has suggested that the more you know, the more you can afford to give away. That makes sense to me. Paul is one of the guys who gives a way a LOT.

Because he gives away so much, he's developed a strong relationship with his readers, who are therefore much more likely to buy when he does sell something.

As you've obviously realized, you have to decide what your strategy is. If you DO give away good stuff, will you still have some way of generating revenue?

If you don't have a such a strategy, then you may have to sell the stuff you're creating now. After all, you're in business to generate revenue, not just make friends. Smile
sparrow

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:55 pm
      Post subject:

I am with Allan on that, developing that relationship is just as important as selling.

Especially if you plan on reselling to them in the future.

I like to make my list feel special for joining and only sell to them what makes sense for why they bought originally.

So make sure to build a list from all that great information your supplying on that blog.

Ed

FREE datafeed to RSS feed convertor see video to see how easy it is to use.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Painter

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:08 am
      Post subject: How much for affiliate link?

I think what I have to say here goes along with this topic. I would like to know how much to charge for clickthrough to a supplier that I develop an affiliate agreement with. I will be linking to the sites of companies that supply products and tools in my niche. How much should I get for, say, a visitor sent to their web site through my link which fills out the companies form? Or, how much commision if they buy something? Thank you.
DerekForeal

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:37 am
      Post subject:

Allan makes a strong point. I love content. That can be good for my visitors and bad for my bank account if I do not find the right balance.

For me, the easier it is to find the more I am willing to write about it and the harder it is to find the more I am compelled to request compensation.

For your particular situation, I would continue to do what you are doing and monetize my blog by looking for affiliate offers that could be spliced into your current content.

Unique content accompanied with solutions for your visitors strikes a good balance, I think. Especially, if it text or contextual. They don't feel like the personal reading space is being infringed upon.

However, you won't know for sure until you test, test, test.

That's my wooden nickel. Shocked

Fentriss Moore - Professional Voice Actor

http://www.soundcloud.com/moorevoiceactor

Freedom is not knowing your limits but realizing that you have none.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Affiliate Marketing Forum Index » Monetizing Your Blog
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to: