Top Articles

Stay In Touch

Affiliate Marketing Forum

FAQ FAQ Search Search Memberlist Memberlist Usergroups Usergroups
Register Register Profile Profile Log in to check your private messages Private Messages Log in Log in

Datafeed-Based vs Banner-Based Websites
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Affiliate Marketing Forum Index » Affiliate Data Feeds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geno

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:00 pm
      Post subject: Datafeed-Based vs Banner-Based Websites

From my personal experience:

When you're working with affiliate programs of online stores, in my opinion, it is BEST for an affiliate/assosicate to pick stores that supply datafeeds of their products, and import them into affiliate websites (be it content websites or shopping malls, doesn't matter). Then, when your customers see product pictures and descriptions on your site (you may pick the ones you want to feature, and leave out the ones you don't), they get more interested in them (than in just plain banner and/or text links), and clicks convert to sales much-much better.

There are a number of extremely useful software applications for datafeeds import. One of these is WebMerge (a product by the Fourth World Media Corp). I am not affiliated with them. Just wanted to let y'all know that we've just launched (this happened today, on 1 November) an exclusive co-branded version of this application - "WebMergeRL" (or Russian Legacy Edition of WebMerge), which makes it easy to import our products into your sites.

Not to spam this thread, I won't say anything else (unless people ask). We have our thread in the "Promote Your Affiliate Program(s)" section of the AssociatePrograms.com boards. You can easily find us there if you're interested.

IMPORTANT: It is a fact that datafeed-based websites convert much better than banner-based ones. Be it with us, or with any other online retail store (Amazon, Overstock, eBay, anything), remember this and take your time to learn how to work with datafeeds. Time invested will inevitably pay off.

Of course, I'd be happy to discuss this claim/observation further in this thread (if there's interest in this). Wink

Hope everyone is having a prosperous week!

Geno
john2698

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:25 am
      Post subject:

I agree.

I have never done very well with just using banner ads. I have done well with importing a merchants datafeed and then having their products listed on my site though.
Geno

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:10 am
      Post subject:

john2698 wrote:
I agree.

I have never done very well with just using banner ads. I have done well with importing a merchants datafeed and then having their products listed on my site though.

Thanks, John! I was wondering if anyone is going to pick up on this topic... Wink

Anyone else wants to comment (and/or share experience)?

Geno
JMMKTENT

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:16 am
      Post subject: I second WebMerge

WebMerge is a great product. Simple and easy to use. However tiering does take a bit of trial and error. That is just so you get your files straight. But once you do, just click a button and away you go.

J. Miller
Computer Internet Resources
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Geno

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:38 am
      Post subject: Re: I second WebMerge

JMMKTENT wrote:
WebMerge is a great product. Simple and easy to use. However tiering does take a bit of trial and error. That is just so you get your files straight. But once you do, just click a button and away you go.

They have a beautiful support forum of their own where you may ask all and any questions, and other users (or the programmers of the Fourth World themselves) will you out with your questions.

Geno
john2698

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:03 pm
      Post subject:

I don't use Webmerge. I just use my own scripts that I have personally made so that I can easily upload datafeeds straight into my database.
Geno

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:18 pm
      Post subject:

john2698 wrote:
I don't use Webmerge. I just use my own scripts that I have personally made so that I can easily upload datafeeds straight into my database.

Sounds very good, John. PM, IM or e-mail me, and I might have something interesting for you! Wink

Geno
Geno

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:28 am
      Post subject:

john2698 wrote:
I agree.

Just wanted to share this print screen with you (supports the statement that this thread is based on: that if you want "to earn more" - learn how to work with datafeeds):

[Image deleted - Moderator]

Hope it will encourage people to use datafeeds more.

BTW, note that "54 day" period between click and sale, and make appropriate use of this info. Join affiliate programs with cookies lasting at least 60 days...

Geno

Last edited by Geno on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kelliott07

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:53 pm
      Post subject:

This might be a silly question but how ofter do you have to update your datafeed. Is it weekly, monthly or is it done automatically with the company that you are associated with.
Follow me on twitter
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Geno

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:22 pm
      Post subject:

kelliott07 wrote:
This might be a silly question but how ofter do you have to update your datafeed. Is it weekly, monthly or is it done automatically with the company that you are associated with.

Two ways to do it:

1) Either you set your website up in such a way that every merchant that sells through your site uploads the datafeed themselves (as often as it gets changed in any way).

2) Or you fetch their datafeed yourself (automatically), making sure they set up a dynamically changing XML datafeed somewhere at their website and give you access to it.

Hope this helps.

Geno
kelliott07

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:11 am
      Post subject:

Fantastic, that definitly answered my question.. I will start checking out datafeeds to see what I can do with them.
Follow me on twitter
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Geno

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:55 pm
      Post subject:

kelliott07 wrote:
Fantastic, that definitly answered my question.. I will start checking out datafeeds to see what I can do with them.

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any more help, K. Elliott! Wink

Geno
kelliott07

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:25 pm
      Post subject:

Thanks, I am trying to put together a website now that uses datafeeds. One more question, do you know of a product that will take comma delimited or simi colon datafeeds and process them and insert them into a database.
Follow me on twitter
Geno

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:01 pm
      Post subject:

kelliott07 wrote:
Thanks, I am trying to put together a website now that uses datafeeds. One more question, do you know of a product that will take comma delimited or simi colon datafeeds and process them and insert them into a database.

WebMerge
deadlyminds

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:41 am
      Post subject:

Quote:
Just wanted to share this print screen with you (supports the statement that this thread is based on: that if you want "to earn more" - learn how to work with datafeeds):

Geno, could you please resize the picture? my screen's going wiiiiiiii...de
Affiliate Marketing Forum Index » Affiliate Data Feeds
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: