How to make $1000 a month online from scratch

"How to make $1000 a month online from scratch" has proven to be one of our most popular article series.  It has recently been updated to support the latest online developments and innovations.

I'm at the age where is seems as though everyone I hang out with day to day is either about to have kids, or has just had them. It's an interesting life change.

No longer do I instantly assume my bleary eyed friend has been partying all night. I now just know that his 3-month-old daughter doesn’t have the whole “sleep through the night” thing wired yet.

Having kids has changed more than just our social lives. Most of my friends and their partners have worked corporate jobs and have had good sized disposable incomes. Going down to one income changes things. Things get tighter.

For many, a few hundred bucks extra a week makes the difference between having to go back to work, or being able to have one partner stay at home to look after the new hatchling full time.

This new life change is at the forefront of many of their minds, and the conversation often turns to this topic. It’s at about this point you’ll hear me say, “Why don't you think about setting up a little online business?” with a sheepish grin.

Almost immediately after this I wish I'd kept my mouth shut.

Most people either fall into one of two camps. The first camp are the ones who don’t believe they could make money online because they have no skills. The second camp have bought into the idea that the Internet can turn almost anyone into an overnight millionaire.

I know we'd all like to believe the sales letters that tell us we can be millionaires online with very little work. Unfortunately, it's just not that easy.

I reckon I've met more than 100 people whose online business generates over 500K a year. I had dinner with a guy who was doing 50 million. All of those businesses took an enormous amount of time, money and skills to get to that level. All of those business owners worked their butts off, many of them risking their health, marriages, and sanity as well.

That’s where the problem lies. Most people only have:

• Maybe 5-10 hours a week of spare time.
  • Very little start-up capital.
  • Basic computer skills.

Hardly the makings of the next big thing. Suddenly the opportunities don’t look so good.

Thankfully, there's some good news. While you may not be able to become an overnight millionaire, it's not that hard to make an extra few hundred bucks a week online.

For most people a few hundred bucks a week may be enough to pay for a nice holiday, allow a parent to stay at home to look after the kids, or perhaps start your kids' college fund.

Certainly enough to get a bit excited about!

When I explain all this to my friends, the stock response is, “So how do I do it?”

A fairly simple process

I usually outline a fairly simple process to make this happen that takes into account their lack of time, skills and money. As I unpack the details, I see the cogs turning in their mind and their eyes start to light up as I explain the perpetual and automated nature of the whole business. Who doesn't get excited by the idea of getting paid while you are sleep?

This is the point where I come unstuck and is the source of my reluctance in saying anything.

They want to know EXACTLY how we've managed to do it, and how they can do the same. I end up explaining things to them, but it all floats off into the air. What they need is a concrete nitty gritty blueprint that is going to cater for their lack of skills, time and resources.

Unfortunately I've never had one to give them. Not for much longer though.

Currently I'm working on a guide that I'm going to give my friends that explains step-by-step how they can make $1000 a month online. Something that will allow me to say, "Just shoot me an email and I'll send you a step-by-step guide." I’m hoping it's going to save me the time it takes to explain things so we can get back to talking about politics and religion. :)

This guide makes the following assumptions:

• My friends will have 5-10 hours a week to work on the business.
  • They have very few, if any, technical skills.
  • $400 to invest.
  • A willingness to work hard, stick to a plan and resist distractions.

I've already started writing this guide and I'm going to post a new section for you each week. It's an 8-part guide, so at the end of the 8 weeks you'll also be able to download it in full to print as well.

The 8 parts I'll be covering are:

The Introduction (you're reading it now)
The Mindset
The Idea
The Plan
The Action
The Traffic
The Money
The Growth

While I'm writing this, make sure you post comments to ask about anything specific. I figure if you're asking the questions, my friends probably are too! Look out for Part 2 - The Mindset next week. Remember to subscribe to the RSS feed to follow along.

April 5, 2010

Related Links

David
Said this on June 5, 2008 At 05:49 am
Hi Jay
Thank you for this article! Talk about hitting a bunch of nails right on the head!

I'm in the seemingly usual rut of struggling to make it happen online after nearly 4 long years of "learning" and "trying".

All the stuff about family and kids rings a bunch of bells too! Ony the part about "making a few hundred bucks extra a week" is missing :-(

I've joined and tried just about everything in IM including SpeedPPC with little success so far. My biggest problem has been lack of effective action due to "trying the next thing" that comes along.

I know in my mind that I need to "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) and take action, but try as I might it just doesn't quite seem to happen!

Your idea to answer the question "how EXACTLY you've managed to do it" and "Just shoot me an email and I'll send you a step-by-step guide" would offer us a real chance to take some "SIMPLE" action to make that first 1000 bucks a reality!

If I had someone to walk me through the process to $1000 a month I'd gladly give em 1/2 of what I earn! (for the first $1000 anyway ;-)

I think I'm gonna unsubscribe from all the "lists" I'm on and see what I can do with your "fairly simple process" :-)

Looking forward to seeing it!
All the best
D
William Profet
Said this on June 5, 2008 At 08:57 am
Hi Jay,
This is a great idea to write such a blueprint. I would be happy to learn more - in this manual - about:

- Getting traffic. (what a surprise) :)
- Pay-per-click success tactics
- Trusted case studies, stories of people that have succeeded - with facts and exact numbers - I need this for inspiration! :))

Thank you in advance, I am going to follow every part of your blueprint!

Good luck,
William
Katarina
Said this on June 5, 2008 At 10:47 am
I like this idea. Once you learn how you can do it many times over.
Todd
Said this on June 5, 2008 At 11:04 am
Jay,
This is terrific. It hits right in the "sweet spot" for most of us -- a business opportunity that recognizes our limitations, but provides a sort of first step up the ladder of online success.

Thanks, in advance, for all the hard work. Looking forward to the coming weeks' segments.
Chris
Said this on June 5, 2008 At 01:00 pm
Great idea, and very timely. I fit the profile exactly (I have a 2-year old), and I've done a slightly dangerous thing by plunging full-time into this (don't worry, I've been planning this since 2006 and got some good savings.) I'm close to $1000/month now, and having great fun, but I'm really struggling with the transition of working full-time at home - the usual demons of discipline, focus, scheduling, distractions, etc.

I look forward to reading and practicing ideas on organization, discipline and a strong mindset to make this work.
Chris
GR
Said this on June 5, 2008 At 02:29 pm
I'm interested in this 8-week series. I also identify with the first comment from "G" about getting distracted. I've been trying to make significant money for three years and the most I've made in a month is $180 with Adsense and a few affiliate commissions. I've also been disheartened when I realized that most of the self-annointed gurus either don't reveal all of their secrets and/or they make a significant amount of their money selling how-to-make money online themselves. In other words, their entire marketing push is not selling any other products but get-rich-quick stuff. I can think of three specific guys in the UK who do this. So, I too don't buy every new ebook any more that promises stuff.
Jeesus
Said this on June 5, 2008 At 03:34 pm
Great help for not only newbies but middles too.
Bill
Said this on June 5, 2008 At 07:03 pm
I, along with anybody else who's read this Introduction, am eagerly awaiting the installments of this story. I make $10 to $15 a month in AdSense; once in a great while, I make a bit in affiliate commissions.

But now I'm ready to make some REAL money. Please deliver what you've outlined and you'll have a fan for life!
Jill
Said this on June 5, 2008 At 07:39 pm
Jay
Are you planning to provide specific instructions or just general principles? Can it feed into existing websites or do we start afresh?

[Yes, it will be specific instructions. I'm a strong believer in the 80/20 rule (so 80% of your gains will come from 20% of your work). The guide is focusing mostly on the 20%. When you're time poor, you need to do that. I purposely ignore a lot of methods and just give specific instructions on the ones I know give best bang for buck so to speak. Of course I give links to extra free resources to fill out concepts, but I'm making it as much of a blueprint as possible. There is enough general principles type information floating around the net. I know my friends will want specifics, and I guess you probably do too.

As for being able to feed it into existing websites, well I don't know what you're currently doing to comment specifically on that. I'm guessing for many people it might help them focus more on the activities that will build their income if they are already working at it now. - Jay]
cybercash
Said this on June 5, 2008 At 09:05 pm
To make money from affiliate network, you need just one time traffic. Not talking about targeted traffic. But paid traffic. Do your math. Making $1K a month is easy if you're good in math.

just my contribution... towards my $5K month.
ignatius
Said this on June 6, 2008 At 08:48 am
Hi,
I will love to be part of your training for this period. I will welcome any information that will enable me to start generating some buck online. i have been looking forward to that day that i will make my first cash online.
ignatius
kim adair
Said this on June 6, 2008 At 09:51 am
It sounds like a good idea! I look forward to the articles!
Mary Strides
Said this on June 9, 2008 At 07:33 am
Hi Jay,
Thanks for undertaking to publish a series on this topic - I'm sure many would find it very useful.

Just one suggestion - even $400 is a lot of money for some. Especially for those who live outside the developed world.

So it would be terrific if you could throw in suggestions on how to create a $1000 pm income stream with a much smaller commitment of money.

Perhaps the lack of money can be compensated for in some manner by putting more time into the venture.
Thanks!
Mary
Gary Martin
Said this on June 10, 2008 At 05:11 am
I still get surprised how people can't make $1000 a month. There are so many products on the market that teach how to make money online. Throw in $400 starting capital and willing to work 10 hrs a week, heck, how could anyone not, given a few months of effort?
Perhaps with SO much info, it's hard to know which to go with? I'll lay out one right now.

Get your hands on some PLR products, all on the same theme, making an up or cross sell too, modify it and sell it, promoting using adwords.

Get a list and promote the products you have made.
It goes without saying that research to define a niche where people spend money and that your product solves a promblem or helps people get their dream, is vital.
Gary
Scotch
Said this on June 10, 2008 At 04:26 pm
Jay - sounds a great concept and you're generous to share your knowledge like this. I just wonder how many of us who embark on the course will stay the distance?

I'd prefer in some ways to be one of your friends, starting from scratch, rather than many of us who know a little about a lot because we've already been exposed to so much IM hype. This, to me, is the greatest hurdle - we're constantly distracted, persuaded that we can't possibly succeed unless we buy into the next big thing. So we flit from project to project, never fully completing one before we're trying the next, seduced by skillful copywriting and promises of overnight success.

I have a sticky note on my monitor that says "$100.00" - a reminder that my first goal is to reach 100 bucks a day. I'm still a long way off, so am ready to follow your course to get closer to that goal. But please remind and harass us constantly to STAY FOCUSED!
Fred
Said this on June 10, 2008 At 05:32 pm
Hello:
Your $1000 a month hit home immediately. I am on a low fixed income and disabled, therefore I must work from home. After going nuts trying to fit the whole Affiliate think together, your course is a light at the end of a very long and dark tunnel. I eagerly await more.
Thanks in advance,
F
Ron
Said this on June 12, 2008 At 03:25 pm
The previous point about staying focused is absolutely critical. I cannot tell you the number of times I have been distracted or chosen another path. I believe it comes from wanting success so badly that you are willing to try anything.
Well no more... every day I resolve to achieve a specific task that will get me one step closer to my task. This is my scorecard and I look at every day. I recommend this to anyone who is having this difficulty. Set your goal, follow this path that Jay is listing out for us and ask yourself at the end of the day "Did I move closer or farther away?"
Dr. Vikrama Aditya Tomar
Said this on June 14, 2008 At 11:09 am
Hi Friends,
I believe that Allan and his team never promotes something until they actually believe in it. They are earning a handsome fortune. I had been a online and trying to earn even a much modest earning. If it could be possible, no matter how much hard work is involved, it could mean great freedom for me to pursue and dedicate my life to what I dream for. I look forward what is coming to us in future by Jay.
Regards,
dr vikrama
Oswald
Said this on June 14, 2008 At 08:41 pm
Hi Jay
I am one of those people who continue to struggle with technology, online money generating systems and time. I look forward with interest about how to make $1000 a month.
Regards
Oswald
NATHALIE
Said this on June 19, 2008 At 02:53 pm

Hi
I'm a little confused, in the article "how to make $1000/mth online...." you said to avoid the niche about making money online. Then on the beginners, best affiliate program, they are about how to make money online. I'm a little confused, may be I'm not getting your instructions right????
Need a little help

[The page which lists our best affiliate programs describes the programs which are working best for us on this site. We point out on that page that they may not work for YOU. They work for us, on an extremely well established website which was started early in 1998, when affiliate marketing was still a relatively new field. Those programs are very good ones for experienced marketers. For beginners, I strongly recommend that you choose a much less competitive niche. Allan.]

Charlene
Said this on June 21, 2008 At 06:48 pm
all i can say is that you are a breath of fresh air! LET'S GET STARTED
Sonja Tan
Said this on June 23, 2008 At 10:28 am
After struggling for some time this is just for me, so let's begin!
Baruch
Said this on June 26, 2008 At 04:05 pm
Jay,
This is great. I have been reading articles on internet business but this approach is outstanding, personal and invaluable. It has added much knowledge to the one I know about my online business.
Thanks.
Gigi
Said this on June 27, 2008 At 02:22 pm
Hi, I love your article. It's very helpful. But It only shows 4 out of 8. How do I go about getting the last 4 articles?
ps. Really appreciate what you're doing.

[Jay is writing one article a week in this series. Allan.]

Thanks
Gigi
Dee
Said this on June 28, 2008 At 09:01 am
Hi Jay,
One of the things I like to learn more about is building a list, you're constantly hearing the money is in the List, from building the squeeze page to what offers that will get your visitor to give you their name and email address?
Dee
Sajid
Said this on July 17, 2008 At 03:06 pm
Right On... Thanks for taking time and helping on this.
Arthur Wesley
Said this on August 21, 2008 At 07:33 pm
I recently recovered from a terrible anxiety-block due to the overwhelming surge of muck and JV traps -- most conflicting -- on how to earn money online. (I turned my computer off for a month and nearly gave up!) I am fortunate to have found some informative sites, primarily this one, AssociatePrograms.com and then NetProfitsToday.com -- Allan and Rosalind do not force affiliate links through sub-standard content or the lack thereof! I cancelled all of my newsletter subscriptions other than the aforementioned plus one more, CourtneyTuttle.com (Court is another teacher with integrity). It is refreshing to know that a few solid sites exist to teach (as stated) rather than sell first or be damned. We all need to earn a living. I do not defame the majority who place selling before guidance, but for those of us who are trying so hard to understand the business in order to earn a passive online income, lured by the promise of instruction only to be sold another product and program, is insanely frustrating (and so easily distracting and wasteful). The series of articles by Jay Stockwell featured on this website is awesome. I for one, a professed newbie, take this instruction, "How to make $1000 a month online from scratch," very seriously -- this is true value added free, as in the true definition of free and not the marketing re-classification of free. A friend and I now share an SBI membership and we are concentrated on applying the teaching here without fault. I was thinking, how nice it would be to monitor those who actually work this series to its logical conclusion and then report success by testimonial later. This would provide an excellent resource and priceless encouragement for those of us just starting out.
Question: Allan, would it be possible to post and maintain some form of accounting as a supplement to this series of articles? Allan, you provide a service second to none, and I could never thank you enough.

[Thank you! I really appreciate your comments. Our affiliate forum would be a good place for readers to discuss Jay's series of articles and progress towards the $1000 a month goal. Allan.]
Ken Langdon
Said this on November 6, 2008 At 07:46 pm
$1000 a month eh? WOW! We are 80 year old and 77 year old age pensioners on $479 AUD a week.

Looking at the Melbourne Herald-Sun the other day I saw what the current fees are for the private schools we sent our 4 kids to back in the 70s and 80s. If we had those 4 kids at school today it would be costing us about $70,000 AUD a year! WOW! How did we ever do that?

You guessed it! We burned the candle at both ends.

My wife used to work as a full time secretary, nurse on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, teach 2 nights a week at Prahran College of TAFE, look after 4 teens (with my help of course), and complete an honours degree to become a university lecturer and later CEO of her own private college.

In addition to my own full time job, where I had a company car, huge office overlooking Melbourne's most beautiful boulevard, I drove taxis, cleaned offices, stacked groceries until the early hours of the morning, and delivered 400 daily newspapers, running on foot in Toorak. Later for 7 years I worked 2 full-time jobs between the hours of 4.00am and midnight. At that stage in 1983 we were pulling in $70,000 AUD a year between us.

In spite of all that effort, we bankrupted in 2 family businesses, a private hospital and a private college, lost our home, and today do not own a house or a car, and I was still working 60 hours a week at age 77 when I nearly died from pneumonia with clots in both lungs.

Our youngest son a commercial and industrial property developer is paying $1600 UAD a month for the property we are living in, and our youngest daughter and her husband are paying the rates on this property.

Naturallly my wife and I are nervous about our situation given the current world economic crisis, and the uncertainty as to whether our children can keep us in this property.

All my working life was spent in the years BC (Before Computers) and I actually worked for Australia's leading bank in a country town that did not have electricity in 1952.

I have floundered around the internet for the past 10 years trying to find a way to earn a living online or at least a few extra dollars to make life more liveable.

So like all the others, I am here to learn just how that is possible.

[I admire your tenacity. I hope you find a niche you can enjoy. Allan.]
Said this on November 7, 2008 At 10:35 am
Hi
I'm a little confused, in the article "how to make $1000/mth online...." you said to avoid the niche about making money online. Than on the beginners, best affiliate program. they are about how to make money online. I'm a little confused, may be I'm not getting your instructions right????
Need a little help

[As we say on the "Best affiliate programs" page, those are programs which are working best for THIS website. We're talking about our experience right here. You have to choose affiliate programs which are appropriate for your site. Allan.]
Said this on November 10, 2008 At 02:36 pm
AM i going to benefit from this program this year

[That's entirely up to you. One of my favorite sayings is: "If it's going to be, it's up to me." Depending on the time you devote to this and how fast and efficiently you work, it could take several weeks or several months. Allan.]
Cathy
Said this on December 5, 2008 At 11:11 pm
Hi,
In Jay's series "How to make $1000 a month online" Jay recommends using "Site Build It" for website development. At the same time, in a program he has been promoting recently, AffiloramaBluePrint, the recommended web design software in this program is Xsite Pro.

Which of these 2 software programs do you recommmend for newbies? Xsite Pro is cheaper while Site Build It seems more comoprehensive. But I believe one needs to pay close to $300 each year to keep their website live on Site Build It, while the $200 fee for Xsite Pro is a one time price.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[They're both very good tools. I recommend Site Build It for newcomers for two reasons. 1. There's an incredible amount of training with it. When you do things the SBI way, you end up with a comprehensive education in a very wide range of Internet marketing skills. 2. Ken Evoy, who created SBI, is in a unique positon to track many thousands of SBI sites and see exactly what works and what doesn't. I doubt very much if there's anyone else on the Internet who's in a position to analyze so many sites in depth from the inside. As an SBI user, you benefit from that knowledge. However, if you're following the AffilioBlueprint method, I think you'll find the course easier to handle if you use the same software Mark uses, XSitePro. Allan.]
Said this on December 13, 2008 At 01:08 pm
For sharing thank you very much good very beautiful work
UZODINMA GRANT
Said this on January 11, 2009 At 01:42 pm
Hello Jay,
Good day Jay, I am interested in this 8th part program as long as it is not against the will of God Almighty.Thanks in anticipation.
REX GRANT.

[Jay won't recommend breaking any of the 10 Commandments. Allan.]
Said this on January 16, 2009 At 01:31 am
what do I do now?
Said this on March 26, 2009 At 03:46 am
Seriously!!!!!!!!!!!Oh Could you Help Me with That
Said this on April 4, 2009 At 07:45 am
Your article is awesome, it can be compiled with other articles to make an e-book and it will sell crazy.
It's educating and informative.
Thank You Jay.
Said this on April 5, 2009 At 01:54 pm
all things very nice
Said this on April 12, 2009 At 05:28 am
Hello Jay,

I am feeling myself lucky to get the address of this site, specially after i read the 1st part of your 8 weeks series. In fact, there are many people around the globe who always feel their lives would be better if they could manage to earn a few more bucks.

I have managed to start my online business which is not one month old yet. So, i will be looking for your future posts which i hope will be worth reading.

Keep up your good job and help others with your knowledge.

Happiness to all.

Regards,
Ehsan
Said this on May 15, 2009 At 09:57 am
very goods thanks
Said this on May 25, 2009 At 04:17 pm
Cathy, as Allan said, SBI! is incredible. You can't go wrong if you follow their Guide(s).

X-Site Pro is simply a web builder. They don't tell you or explain really how to build a winning site that gains traffic, like Sitesell's do.
Susan
Said this on June 22, 2009 At 08:11 am
Hi Jay,
I look forward to read more about your guideline, as I am beginner who is looking forward to make money from home.

Please do sent it some ideas to guide me.

Waiting to read your next session.

Susan
Said this on July 7, 2009 At 08:39 pm
Hi Jay!

This will be an amazing tutorial for many beginners struggling to make some bucks on the Internet.

I think "The Mindset" part would be the most important segment of this 8-week online guide. Without the right mindset, we would not be able to set a comprehensive business plan for our future efforts.

Learning how to get ideas and setting an effective plan are also the crucial steps.

Believe it or not, in order to build a solid online business, we always need a website. For creating a website that works and could generate non-stop profit, I have laid out this 5-step process:

1. Brainstorming
2. Building
3. Marketing
4. Monetizing
5. Tracking

I guess your tutorial could have a lot of common points to my site building guide.

Anyway, I really like your guide and look forward to reading more from you.

Thanks for sharing with us your valuable tips and tricks.

Keep up the good work!

Hooshmand Moslemi
anthony(t)goodwin
Said this on July 16, 2009 At 04:57 pm
I anthony goodwin would like to leave califoria with a job in my wallet. and a other business were i can see my life live with. my family at dinner with baby and a girlfriend.
john
Said this on August 3, 2009 At 12:35 pm
Thanks for the nice advices.
Said this on August 18, 2009 At 12:10 am
I'm right there with you. Staying on task is hard with all the list you end up subscribing to during your "learning phase".

At the end of the day, all the "new ways" of doing business do nothing but distract you from focusing on your main goal. At least that's what happens with me.

I too have been trying to crack the code of making $1,000 online.

One month, someone found an offer for a product I was trying to market and I made my first $65 online, but I couldn't tell you how I did it.

I just woke up to an email from an affiliate program I forgot about that said I had made some money.

I know you can make tons of money online, and since making my first $65, I believe I can rinse and repeat a system to do it over and over again, but rarely do you find someone who is willing to walk you through the steps to get to where you want to go.

I just found this series and it seems like a blueprint that can be worked for success. I'm going to give it a try over the next 30 days and let you know how it works.

Thanks!

[Great! We'll look forward to receiving your follow-up report. Allan.]
Said this on August 19, 2009 At 03:46 am
I found your post informative , helpful and easy to digest.
You have got my best recommendation on this. Keep this coming!

Cathy from
Make Money Fast Online
Said this on September 21, 2009 At 06:45 am
Bookmarked your blog. Loving your style. Hope we can meet some day.
Said this on March 27, 2010 At 12:59 pm
nice information and motivation...
thanks..
Said this on April 15, 2010 At 04:00 pm
Has part 2 been posted? I can't seem to find it..
Said this on April 15, 2010 At 04:49 pm
Just check at the bottom of the post and you'll see the other parts of the article series.